- Grand Rapids, MI
- Square Feet:
- Over 1000 sqft: Owner
- What I Love About My Entryway:
- I tried to fill my entryway with things that are meaningful to me so that what I see when I walk into my house are some of my favorite things. The giant painting (it's about 4' long) I got in Essouria, Morocco a few years ago. I was having a cup of coffee in a cafe and saw a man across the street with his art for sale. Most of the art that I saw in Morocco was quite similar, but that painting was really different in style. I went to see if he had anything smaller, but that was it and in the end I bought it. That was an amazing trip and I like that a reminder of it is the first thing I see when I enter my house. The small pictures on the wall next to the door to the basement are from New York City (where I used to live) and Barcelona (where I frequently visit). The textile over the top of the IKEA bookcase is from Thailand, and the colorful bowls for candy and badges are from Mexico. All are reminders of good times that I've had.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Entryway:
- (1) Have a place for people to sit to take shoes on and off. It encourages shoelessness in the house.
(2) Have plenty of hooks and trays for drying boots if you live in a snowy climate (like me!)
(3) I try to coordinate the colors in my entryway with the rooms that it touches (the kitchen and livingroom) to make my home decoration feel more cohesive.