Name: Luis and Alex
Location: West Seattle, Washington
Size: 1300 square feet
Years lived in: 1.5 years; Owned
Luis and Alex met in college while studying architecture and interior design in France. They then moved to Seattle to begin their life after academics. They settled into a new condo in the downtown area which was a great first time homeowner experience. However the ease of new construction didn't satisfy the creative outlet they were looking for. So off they went to search for a single family home they could make their own.
They ended up finding the perfect mid-century home in West Seattle with great bones that just needed a good eye for design and some serious aesthetic love.
They began with salvaging the original oak floors. Next they moved onto the kitchen which was drab, dark, and cluttered. They gutted the room, upgraded the cabinets, appliances, flooring, lighting, and opened up the wall to the dining room with a lovely bar area.
Next they finished the basement and created an office/game/entertainment space to kick back and relax in. They opened the wall leading down the stairs to their new basement to give it a much more open feel in an otherwise windowless space.
Luis and Alex's home has given them the creative opportunities they were searching for and has come out on the other side a glowing success. It's the kind of place you could walk through and think, "hmm, this is achievable." Congrats you two!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: A mixture of mid-century modern, contemporary, and geek chic.
Inspiration: 1950s American homes, mid-century modern interiors, designs by Charles and Ray Eames, Danish modern furnishings, typography and letter press, Julius Shulman photography.
Favorite Element: The original oak floors, natural light, and the hidden built-in dishwasher.
Biggest Challenge: Finalizing the kitchen finishes and choosing to go with quartz over marble for the countertop… Quartz was the best decision we made!
What Friends Say: That the space looks very “designy” and comfy. They comment on how well put together it is while still having that warm homey feel.
Biggest Embarrassment: Black cat hair on our white curtains… shameful.
Proudest DIY: Hanging the TV on the brick fireplace and the cable management solution for it.
Best Advice: Our motto when choosing paint colors: “when in doubt, gray it out.”
Resources of Note:
- Floor lamps: West Elm
- Coffee table: CB2
- Couch: Macy’s
- Allsteel Clarity Chair: Commercial Office Interiors
- Wegner cigar chair look alike: Gift from friend (found at thrift store and restored)
- Walnut side table: Room and Board
- Black cat: Meow Animal Rescue
- Dining chairs: Amazon
- Dining table: IKEA
- Pendant light: Crate&Barrel
- Artwork: Grand Image
- Floor tile: Statements |Style: Modern | Color: Grey
- Cabinets: IKEA
- Countertop: Pental Quartz | Color: Pearl White
- Back splash tile: Statements Tile | Style: Moda | Color: Super White Glossy
- Artwork: Letterpress competition entry
- Lamps: Target
- Bed frame: Amazon
Thanks, Luis and Alex!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Follow Apartment Therapy's board House Tours Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!