Make It Work: The Complete Guide to IKEA Hacks & Projects
You know the saying: give someone a fish and they eat for a day. But teach that person to fish and they eat for a lifetime? Wise words, and completely applicable to IKEA hacks. Because, we can show you good examples of “Before & After” projects all day long but, sooner or later young lady, you’ll find yourself standing in front of a broke-down MALM dresser and you won’t know what to do. And then where are you going to be? Huh? Can you answer me that?
Here’s the ultimate guide to refinishing, drilling, upholstering, painting, customizing, and cutting IKEA furniture.
Have a metal VITTSJÖ or laminate MALM that needs a new pair of shoes? Here are a handful of techniques for changing the look of your finished piece:
- How to paint laminate furniture from Little Green Notebook
- IKEA white paint formula from Decor Chick
- How to gold leaf metal from The Hunted Interior
- How to spray paint metal from Better Homes & Gardens
- How to stain a dresser from 551 East Design
- How to whitewash a Fjell wardrobe from Thinking Closet
- How to wallpaper a bookcase from Overthrow Martha
- How to decoupage an IKEA dresser from Dag 2 Dag
If you are sick of looking at the same old KLIPPAN day after day, give it a new look with either a pre-made or DIY slipcover solution.
- Pre-made slipcovers for IKEA furniture from Comfort Works, Bemz, Cover Couch, Fresh Knesting & Weu Weu.
- How to dye an IKEA slipcover in the washing machine, from Decor to Adore
- How to dye an IKEA slipcover in a tub, from The Hip Soiree.
- How to customize your IKEA slipcovers from It’s Great To Be Home
- How to cover an wooden IKEA bed frame in felt from Manhattan Nest.
- How to upholster an EXPEDIT with a curtain panel from IKEA Hackers.
HACK HOW TOs & FIXES
Perhaps you’re ready to take things a bit further, and need some help with really altering what comes in the flat pack.
If you don’t have the skills, but want a custom look for your brand new dresser, try one of these IKEA-focused companies: