How To Make Your Own Pine Tree Car Air Freshener
The ubiquitous pine tree air freshener. Call it what you will: kitsch, cute, ghastly. One thing it isn’t is natural. So, if you like the look of the staid and true conifer (or want to get creative and make your own design), have we got the tutorial for you.
Kristina Hoglund at ReadyMade has put together this clever DIY for making your own organic air freshener that will put all those service station pine trees to shame.
What You Need
Sheets of brightly colored scrap paper
Clear jewelry cord (we used Stretch Magic)
Blender or food processor
Rags or old towels
Computer with Internet connection
1/16″ hole punch
X-acto knife or scissors
1. Tear the scrap paper into small bits.
2. Put the paper bits into the blender or food processor with 1/4 cup of water; pulse several times.
3. Add more water a tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition, until the individual scraps of paper become indistinguishable and the mixture is a thick pulp.
4. Over a sink, pour the pulp into the strainer. Gently press on the pulp to extract moisture.
5. Add about five drops of essential oil.
6. Place a paper towel on a rag and invert the strainer onto the towel (if the pulp does not form a thick, even mass, return it to the strainer, swirl with a few drops of water, and invert strainer again).
(Image: Kristina Hoglund / ReadyMade)