- Pasadena, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- This studio used to be a dark and moldy 1990s dump with few redeeming qualities. But with a little bit of elbow grease and multiple trips to the Pasadena Rose Bowl Flea Market, I learned that you really can transform any formerly ugly space into something quite charming.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1) Bring eyes upwards. I installed crown molding and curtains, both with no utilitarian purpose other than to visually expand the height of the room.
2) Narrow profile furniture. Because every square inch counts, I looked for furniture with less-than-average depth. What's interesting is that these pieces look obviously narrow in a "normal" space, but in the studio, it looks very proportional.
3) Tearing out the kitchen cabinets to put in exposed cabinets was a huge risk, but totally worth it in the end. It definitely gives the illusion of more space and it forces you to be efficient with your kitchenware.