Name: Mark and Lisa Lund
Location: South Part of Bainbridge Island, Washington
Size: Main House: 3500 sq ft, Guest House: 850 sq ft
Years lived in: 15 years; owned
Fifteen years ago Mark, Lisa, and their two children made the move from Seattle to Bainbridge Island in search of a comfy, rustic home. They came across a 1970's house built by Architect Roger Katz made to look like an early 1900's structure, which was one of their criteria. What was even more exciting to them was that Katz, an avid sailor, created the house with the idea of sailing in mind…
The house has dramatic triangular vaulted ceiling, skylights, and rafters all throughout. It almost seems like you could rig sails in parts of the house. Mark and Lisa, being sailors themselves, fell in love with this home at first glance and the rest was history.
They have raised two children and their dog Ziggy in this home for the past decade and a half. A few years back they decided that they would do a big remodel. They pushed out their kitchen and bedroom 10 feet, put in an indoor/outdoor fireplace, added a deck outside the living room, a BBQ area, and a beautiful water feature. The remodel was so spectacular it was featured in Dream Kitchens Magazine.
Mark and Lisa wanted to create an environment that was warm, rustic, eclectic and comfortable. Nothing pretentious. A place that makes you feel good and want to stay. Unlike many homes in the Seattle area, theirs is a place where you can kick off your rain boots without actually leaving them at the door. Enjoy the tour!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Ecclectic, Rustic, Northwestern.
Favorite Element: Kitchen and indoor/outdoor fireplace.
Proudest DIY: What a cozy house and beautiful kitchen. A true cook's kitchen.
Biggest Indulgence: Our kitchen remodel.
Best Advice: Get a great architect and contractor.
Resources of Note:
- • Architects Indigo, Jeb and Belinda Thornburg
• Contractor, David Carley
• Range, hood, warming drawer - Wolf Appliance Co.
• Refrigerator - Sub-Zero Freezer Co.
• Dishwasher - Bosch
• Cabinets - custom from Woodway Woodworks & Cabinets
• Cabinet hardware - Restoration Hardware
• Perimeter countertop - Italian Basaltina, Lakeview Stone & Garden
• Brackets @ island counter - Urban Archaeology
• Backsplash tile - Heath Ceramics
• Island sink - Villeroy & Boch
• Perimeter sink - Kohler Co.
• Faucets - Blanco American, Inc.
• Lighting - Kable Lite System w/ K-pivot heads & white flight paper, Tech Lighting
• Chandelier - custom from Jil Smith
• Hardwood floor - Salisbury Hardwood
• Windows/Doors - Anderson Windows
• Barstools - Emeco
• Zinc Tables - Wisteria
• Chairs - Varenne from Casamidy
• Bench fabric - Zimmer+Rohd
Thanks, Mark and Lisa!
Images: Alysha Findley
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.