Spring is a time of hope and regeneration. Nothing is as stunning an example of this as the bulbs I dropped into the soil on a frosty day just five months ago. Click below to see the new glory of my garden AND also the destruction of the deer...
"WOW" is what I said when I walked into the garden out in the country late one evening last week. The explosion of life from all the bulbs planted was amazing to behold. Above and below you can see how nicely my "planogram" has resulted in a beautiful array of flowers at different heights (check out the planning post from December here) with many still to come.
This is just the beginning as you can see I'm experimenting with bulbs that will begin flowering now and carry me through the summer. I will be planting more late this month to take me all the way through to the end of the year.
The only thing they didn't eat were the daffodils and the fritillaria - amazing flower - in the near box you see here.
BUT I've added new fence and should be able to fend off the eating machines for the rest of the summer.
The rest of the garden looks a little rough after the long winter, but I'll be turning that around in the next few weeks and sending in another update when it's all weeded and the outdoor furniture is out and the lights are on. I can't wait for my first garden lunch... maybe Memorial Day??
Thanks to my friends at Dig Drop Done for helping with all of this and for inspiring me with the ease of bulbs. If you want to know more about planting with bulbs and find resources, check them out:
- Crocus - Giant Mixed
- Daffodil - Tete a tete
- Daffodil (Lg Cupped) - Ice Follies
- Fritillaria - Lutea Maxima
- Tulip (Fringed) Maja
- Tulip (Triumph) - Don Quichotte
- Daffodil (Trumpet) - Mount Hood
- Daffodil (Trumpet) - California
- Tulip (Darwin Hybrid) - Pink Impression
- Tulip (Darwin Hybrid) - Ollioules
- Anemone Blue, Pink White Shades
- Daffodil (Trumpet/Lg. Cupped) Mixed
- Tulip (Kaufmanniana) - Stresa
- Tulip (Double Late) - Blue Diamond
- Tulip (Double Late) - Miranda
- Allium - Purple Sensation
- Tulip (Single Late) - Pastel Mixed
- Tulip (Lily Flowering) - White Triumphator
- Tulip (Lily Flowering) - Ballerina
Planting right at New Year's
- Allium - Gladiator