Name: Meg Shackleton
Location: Cole Valley — San Francisco, California
Size: 1200 square feet
Years lived in: 3 years; Rented
Meg Shackleton is the creator of Margaret Elizabeth designs — check out her recent studio tour. Not surprisingly, her home incorporates many of the elements that make her jewelry line so unique. Color, form, and shine come together in a style that is at once classic and modern.
Meg's New England upbringing is at least partly to blame for the classic styling and perfectly polished finishing touches, but the quirky accessories, bold colors and global flair shake things up and keep them from feeling too predictable.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: I love mixing new and old, traditional and modern.
Inspiration: I'm inspired by bright spaces and rooms that you want to snuggle into and relax.
Favorite Element: I love the daybed in our 'guest room'. It's such a comfy, relaxing spot.
Biggest Challenge: All of our family lives on the East Coast, so we wanted them to have a place to stay when they visit. We ended up transforming what was a dining room into the 'guest room' (the room with the white daybed). It's not a perfect solution, but the daybed makes the room feel like more of a living space that can be transformed into a bedroom when we need it to be.
What Friends Say: I'm always changing things up around here... so friends often comment on how furniture has moved or how the walls have changed color (I re-paint the walls way too often!).
Biggest Embarrassment: We don't have much storage space, so sometimes I feel like the apartment is bursting at the seams. If you look closely you'll see skis and surfboards peeking out from the strangest spots!
Proudest DIY: I love the marble side tables in our living room. We found them on Craigslist and sanded them down and painted them the high gloss black.
Biggest Indulgence: Buying rugs in Morocco this summer. I love that I think of our trip every time my feet touch those carpets!
Best Advice: Don't rush to decorate your space all at once — pick up different pieces that you really love.
Dream Sources: Travel! Every time we're in a new place, I find fun pieces to take home.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Guest Room: Amherst Grey (Benjamin Moore)
- Bedroom: Robins Nest (Benjamin Moore)
- Rug: Ebay find
- Coffee table: flea market
- Marble topped Side tables: Craigslist
- White Loveseat: Crate & Barrel
- Gold Etagere: Flea Market
- Bar Cart: Flea Market
- Daybed: Parsons daybed from West Elm
- Curtains: West Elm
- Gold Side Table: Target
- Ottoman: One Kings Lane
- Tray on Ottoman: West Elm
- Mongolian Pillows: West Elm
- All other pillows: custom, made from fabric from discount fabrics
- Lucite Console Table: CB2
- Lamps: Alemeda Flea Market
- Chandelier: Vintage store in LA (sorry I can't remember the name!)
- Headboard: Pottery Barn
- Bedding: Jill Sorenson
- Bedside Tables: West Elm Tray Tables
- Dresser: Harringtons on Valencia Street in the Mission
- Lamps: Cost Plus World Market
- Rug: Brought back from Morrocco
- Glider Chair: Serena & Lilly
- Books: margaretelizabeth.com
- Pendant Light: West Elm
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!