Name: Joshua Young
Occupation: President & CEO, DwellStudio
Location: Soho, NYC
Where to find me online: You won't. You can find me outside, in person
Kids: Isabelle (5.5) & William (3.5)
1. A favorite toy from childhood: Matchbox car collection. I had this cool blue “briefcase” that held each car in its own little garage compartment. I used to bring it on family trips and mimic my father carrying his briefcase. That and a cool pair of oversized shades made me feel pretty cool at the airport check-in counter with my dad. I looked like a midget FBI agent with a shaggy bowl cut.
2. A myth about modern dads: That you can’t balance being fun and strict.
3. A favorite children's book: James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
4. A song I'll be really bummed if my kids don't end up loving: Anything by Bob Marley, the Stones or Neil Young.
6. A product I would recommend to another dad: Within daily reach, always a stack of our Hooded Towels - beach to bathtime. Bigger picture, without a doubt, my 2 kid-seat De Fietsfabriek bicycle that Christiane bought for me in Amsterdam. I take both kids to school every morning and they love the ride. It’s a great way for all of us to start our day singing our way to school without having to deal with a car. It’s the one of the best things about living in New York and one of the most overlooked. I am thrilled that summer is here, but kind of sad that the morning school commute is in recess until September.
7. A question I hope my kids never ask me: Dad, are you too old to do that with us?
8. My favorite way to spend a few hours with my kids: Anything outdoors – swimming in Amagansett, Jamaica or Mexico (our family beach trifecta), skiing or a sunny afternoon in the park playing tickle-monster.
9. A parenting trick that works for me and not for my wife: Being firm; and being tall enough to hoist them above my head and launch them into the pool
10. My parenting superpower: Arrested development; most of the time I just want to be a kid again too.