In my 2nd grade journal, written in unmistakable kid scribble, my 7-year-old self declared purple as my favorite color. As an adult, one who’s come to love Scandinavian design and lives in dark monochromatic frocks, I’m more partial to a new hue: Black. And these moody facades tell me I’m not alone.
If you think black is boring, think again. It’s actually a really versatile color—it can be warm or cool and everything in between. And do you want to know where it really shines? Outside, on exterior walls. The abundant natural light outside will expose all the nooks and crannies of your exterior architecture, even when they’re cloaked in black. The look is modern, mysterious and bold.
Just check out these daring homes:
- A pre-fab beach house near Melbourne, Australia. From Archiblox.
- A turn-of-the-century villa in Hamburg, Germany. From Dwell.
- A mid-70s home in Portland, Oregon. By Giulietti Schouten Architects.
- A cabin in Fitch Bay, Quebec. Shot by Jean Longpré.
- A cottage in Houston, Texas. Shot by Carolina Eclectic.
Would you ever paint your house black?