Moonrise Kingdom was the second Wes Anderson film I ever saw, but the first of which I could see myself easily walking onto the set and living my life comfortably; this wasn't terribly noteworthy as the competition was slim. Nonetheless, it's sepia toned New England setting calls to me. And I'm a sucker for a peter pan collar. The thing that strikes me about this film is I don't want to recreate a room piece by piece. Instead I'm drawn to the general filter through which to view each location. Drawing inspiration from nature and nautical activities, I want to build a design plan full of life, playfulness and possibly some sailboats.
It is absolutely essential to invest in graphic wall coverings to get this look. Wallpaper inspires a story about the room and brings a whimsical quality to the space, like living inside a storybook. If sailboats are your seafaring vehicle of choice, drop anchor on the best deal you can find. If you're not a boating fiend, look for other visuals of nature—trees, ponds, animals—all are fair game.
A sweet way to kick up the quirky nature is to match the wallpaper, draperies, and bedding. Yeah, it sounds like a lot. And you're right. It is a lot, but man oh man does it look chic; and chic in a way that isn't trying too hard. A lot of design houses make their patterns into papers and fabrics, so you don't have to worry about scrounging around to find things that match. This way you make one good decision and then repeat it a few times.
The furniture is a bit mid-century modern mixed with arts & crafts. It should look like it was collected and curated over years. Pair wooden pieces with upholstered for visual relief. When you are doing pattern on the window treatments, bedding and walls, your eye is going to crave simple, beautiful wooden furniture.
Lastly, add in your kitsch. Model ships, lamps with squirrel bases, books of old maps and anything else that sparks your imagination. This movie is about taking adventures and falling in love; there's no better what to get inspired than by surrounding yourself with interesting objects, books, and art.
Get the look
- Bed: Mission Hills Wood Slat Bed, $1,098
- Wallpaper: Schumacher Kiosk Peacock Blue Wallpaper, $45.50/yard
- Chandelier: Sphere + Stem 3-Light Chandelier, $399
- Desk: Lachlan Arts and Crafts Executive Desk, $310.99
- Rug: 3x5 Grid Ivory Wool Tufted Rug, $90
- Chair: Wulff Mid-Century Office Chair, $47.99
- Bookcase: Chidester Bookcase, $179.99
- Print: Indigo Ferns Wall Art, $228
- Record player: Crosley Cruiser Deluxe Portable 3-Speed Turntable, $58.95
- Rattan side table: Serena + Lily Pismo Rattan Side Table, $198
- Ship: Ranger 35" Wooden Model Sailboat, $142.99