It's no surprise that we're all Mrs. Meyer's fans at Apartment Therapy. The all-natural queen of clean and straight talk (Thelma Meyer, grandmother, age 76) recently shared some childhood memories with the Chicago Tribune, as well as a few details about life at home in Iowa:
Some Mrs. Meyer's trivia we pulled from the Tribune:
- Growing up, Meyer's mother never allowed them to spend time in the living room. With her own kids, the whole house was very lived in, wearing out the carpets.
- She never made her own bed when raising nine kids.
- Her style is eclectic and practical. She never had white furniture and always chose fabrics and materials that hid fingerprints.
- Meyer's four-bedroom, 2 ½-bath Cape Cod in Granger, Iowa -- complete with trailer in front -- has sheltered nine kids and 22 grandkids for 53 years.
- Meyer and her family find a purpose for everything: often there'll be used paper towels and Ziploc bags drying out on the countertop for re-use.
Link to the full article here.