Our home office is littered with once-internally installed SATA hard drives that were yanked out of previous desktop machines. We've been swapping them in and out of an external hard drive enclosure in a pseudo-plug and play setup (we have to turn it off before plugging or pulling a drive out). But it looks like we don't have to do this any longer. NewerTech's Voyager Hard Drive Docking Solution allows users to insert any standard 2.5" or 3.5" SATA I/II hard drive with up to 2.0TB capacity into the compact docking base for true plug and play access...
Listed features include:
- Supports all 2.5" and 3.5" SATA I/II hard drives up to 2.0TB
- "Quad Interface" for maximum data transfer rates and system compatibility
- Data transfer rates up to 3.0Gb/s (300MB/s)
- Push button drive eject for safe hard drive removal
- Hot-Swap functionality for fast access of multiple hard drives*
- Weighted base and non skid rubber feet for stable operation
- 2-Color Status LED: left side blue for power on, right side flashing red for disk activity
- Compact design…measures 5.28" x 3.70" x 2.68" inches
- Whisper Quiet operation…no cooling fan needed
- Plug and Play with Macs and PCs
- All interface connection cables included
Transfer rates aren't bad at all, with eSATA up to 3.0Gb/s (or 300MB/s), FireWire 800: up to 800Mbps (100MB/s), FireWire 400: up to 400Mbps (50MB/s) and USB 2.0: up to 480Mbps (60MB/s), practically making our store of extra hard drives like huge versions of the now defunct Zip disks. $99 from NewerTech.