Decorations can be a dilemma for the eco-conscious. On one hand, you want to create a festive atmosphere for your party or wedding. On the other hand, you don't want to leave a graveyard of party decorations when it's all over. Here are nine inspirational party decorations that'll please both your heart and mind. Best of all, many of the supplies are everyday things you already own. Read more for details.
Here are the key characteristics when planning eco-friendly wedding and party decorations.
- Can the decorations be reused or repurposed?
- Can you create decorations from things you already own?
- Are the materials recyclable or biodegradable?
These inspiring decorations are so simple, you can easily DIY them. On the other hand, if you don't have the inclination (or the space!) to make 50 sets of eco-friendly wedding decorations, show any of these photos to your florist or wedding planner, and they can easily take care of them for you.
Here's the How-To...
1. Group photo of all featured products.
2. Polka-Dot Garland: This gives a lovely effect and is so easy to make, even children can make them. To make, use a circle punch, colored paper, glue and jute/hemp/raffia twine. Sandwich two circles (same or different color) together with glue over the twine. Viola!
3. Annie Selke's Upside Down Goblet Centerpiece: Aren't the simplest ideas the best ones? This project gives big impact for very little money and effort. To create, use goblets you already own, flowers (paper or fabric, for reusability), and votive candles.
4. Whirly Hanging Candleholders: Most of us aren't equipped to blow our own glass, but these hanging candle holders still made the list because they are endlessly reusable. These little glass gems have flat bottoms and looped tops so they can be used either hanging or sitting on the table. Even better, you can decorate them with either candles, flowers or air plants! Go to CB2 to buy.
5. Flower Votive Centerpiece: Flowers and candles are a classic combination, but you may not have seen them displayed this way. To create, use clear drinking glasses you already own, votive candles in your color, flowers (paper or fabric, for reusability), and jute/hemp/raffia twine. The ceramic coaster is optional. Tie the flower to the glass, and you're practically done.
6. Photo Candles: Photos are great conversation starters for parties. To make, use clear drinking glasses you already own, votive candles in your color, and adhesive photo corners. For a more polished result, curl the photos a bit before sticking them on.
7. Citrus Centerpiece: For a quick and easy graphic statement, throw a bunch of fruits or veggies into clear glass vases for instant impact. Use ribbons, small white blossoms, and more to complement the look.
8. Natural White Birch Coaster: These natural coasters are incredibly versatile decorations. They'll work great as everything from simple votive candle holders to table signage. Just stamp or stencil them with the numbers or labels of your choice.
9. Sand Centerpiece: Extremely budget friendly and reusable, the sand and rocks can be purchased at your local garden center. Add long candles and clear glass vases to finish.
10. Pillar Candles with Beans: The supplies are easy, and one is even edible! Gather beans and pillar candles of varying heights. Arrange them on a large dish, platter, tray or shallow bowl.
For an even more casual look, substitute any of the drinking glasses or vases above with clear jars lying around your home. Your tomato sauce jar will do double duty.