All throughout my childhood we had this stunning handmade Austrian crystal chandelier from the 1930's hanging in our dining room. I remember being transfixed on it many a night while stuck at the table trying to clear my plate (I was not the best eater). Its magical quality had quite an effect on me, and I've grown an affinity for the sparkle and shine of a modern chandelier ever since.
Over the years the once traditional ornate chandeliers have morphed into every possible form you can think of. They still have the same gleaming, lustrous presence but with a modern day twist.
I am patiently awaiting the day I have a space that would do a sparkling, modern chandelier justice so I can stare and daydream at it once again. Here are some great modern finds – from one-of-a-kind hand blown pieces to a DIY Bohemian Chandelier.
1. This DIY Bohemian Chandelier brought to us by My House of Giggles is made out of crystals and vintage bead necklaces.
2. This Paper Capiz Shell DIY Chandelier is brought to us by Design Sponge.
3. This lovely, bubbly, industrial chandelier can be purchased by PELLE on etsy.
4. This bare bones, deconstructed Edison Chandelier is available through Pottery Barn for $399.
5. This graphic, minimal Neoline01 Chandelier is brought to us by BOA Design.
1. This striking DIY Beaded Chandelier tutorial is laid out for us by Gus and Lula.
2. The Orbit Chandelier, designed by Patrick Townsend, is available through Nova 68 for $450.
3. This chic Glass Link Chandelier, "inspired by mid-centure Venetian chain glass chandeliers," is available through West Elm for $299.
4. Glass artist James Mongrain created this one-of-a-kind hand blown art chandelier.
Images: As linked above.