Opportunities to create family traditions occur all year round but it's this time of the year that we really think about them the most. Everyone has cherished family traditions they grew up with and that they want to preserve and continue with their own family.
We love this time of year because it's a built-in reason to make that extra effort to spend quality time with friends and family. It makes us motivated to clean house, cull through our closets and drawers to make donations, learn new recipes to make baked goods gifts, and stay up a little later and hope for snow. Below are a few of our own family traditions as well some shared with us by good friends. Please share your family traditions with us as some of our favorites were borrowed from others!
- Inviting friends who have other Thanksgiving dinner plans over for dessert
- Family outlet shopping on Black Friday
- Secret Santa draw the day after Thanksgiving
- Museum visit the day after Thanksgiving
- Cleaning out closets and donating clothing items
- Volunteering at soup kitchen or homeless shelter
- Opening one gift on Christmas Eve
- Making plans to see all local friends and family at least once before year's end
- Letting the kids stay up and walking/driving through a holiday light show
Image: Sunset/Thomas J. Story