Name: Oliver (2 months)
Location: River Forest, Illinois
I had so much fun planning my son Oliver’s nursery. I chose to go with a clean, modern scheme with lots of gray, taupe, black, and white and touches of natural wood, faux fur, stars, and stripes. I think it will be appropriate for both boys and girls in years to come. And let’s be honest: this is totally my “mom cave” so the calming palette is 100% intended for me! I do like how the book covers in the bookcase add a little splash of color.
I also adore zoo animals and think they are so fun for baby so I threw in elephant, giraffe, zebra, and lion accents, plus a few deer heads in there for good measure because who doesn’t love a good deer head?
The nursery is a mix of gifts and pieces I already owned, DIY projects, secondhand Craigslist items, IKEA and Target bargains, and a few name-brand items. I tried not to buy anything at full retail price because that’s just against my religion but I also wanted to stay focused on my scheme. To do this, I browsed Pinterest for inspiration, woke up every morning and scoured Chicago-area Craigslist, shopped sales and collected coupons whenever they popped up, and used gift cards, Pottery Barn rewards certificates, and Chase credit card points to buy things like the bookcase and books. And I have to credit my amazing husband for installing and mounting everything.
Before we did any of this, we painted the walls a fresh coat of white (the walls are Benjamin Moore “Cloud White” and the ceiling is Benjamin Moore “Simply White”) which really brightened up the room because the space is super tiny (only 84 square feet!) and has limited natural light.
I just love spending time with Oliver in the nursery and can’t wait to have storytime and playtime in there in the years to come.
- RH Baby and Child Paper Mache Elephant Head
- West Elm Ceiling Drum Pendant via Craigslist
- Lulu and Georgia “Oh My Deer” Print
- Target Threshold Grommet Window Panels
- Target Curtain Rod
- Sharon Montrose Baby Zebra Print
- Sharon Montrose Baby Giraffe Print
- West Elm 16″ x 20″ White Gallery Frames
- Weegoamigo Knitted Elephant Blanket from Diapers.com
- Pottery Barn Kids Madison 3-Shelf Bookrack
- Land of Nod Carousel Crib
- aden + anais Star Muslin Crib Sheet
- Serena & Lilly Nantucket Storage Bins
- Jellycat Giraffe Toy, Lion Toy, and Puppy Toy
- Cloud b On the Go Sleep Sheep
- Land of Nod Llama Animal Shaker
- RH Baby & Child Chambray Lion Pull Toy
- Manny & Simon for Honest Zebra Wood Toy
- Land of Nod Rattan Changer Basket
- IKEA RENS Sheepskin
- Anthropologie Forest Critter Closet Knobs (not pictured)
- Changing Dresser via Craigslist
- Summer Infant Changing Table Pad
- aden + anais Star Changing Pad Cover
- Amerock Birch Wood Cabinet Knobs via Lowe’s
- Land of Nod Faux Sheep Pillow
- Land of Nod Gumball Lamp
- Land of Nod Grey Variegated Pouf via Craigslist
- Land of Nod Mod Nod Swivel Glider
- Target Threshold X-base Table
- Target Threshold Colorblock Woven Basket
- Land of Nod Ceramic Deer Head Wall Decor
- Crate & Barrel Olin Grey Striped Rug
- DIY Gray and White Striped Canvas
- DIY Gray Elephant Painting
Thanks, Meg! Readers, visit Meg at Peaches & Cake.