Organizing a Junk Drawer — or is that an Oxymoron?
Today we begin DIY/How To month at Apartment Therapy. I do have a couple projects in mind but no definite plans for when to do them. However, maybe this DIY month is just the kick in the pants I need. I am starting small though and my first project is organizing my junk drawer and sharing my process with all of you.
Junk drawers are just that — drawers filled with junk. Odds and ends that are useful but just don’t really have a designated home. And, of course with the mere title of junk drawer, it is the first go-to place to put random things with the thought being, “I will organize later”. Well, later is here.
As the above pictures indicate, my junk drawer was a mess. I sought out organizing trays on the internet and may go out and purchase one soon — but for now, my goal was just to clean and organize the best I could without one.
Here is list of what I found in my junk drawer:
- my Bloomingdale’s charge card (which I immediately put in my wallet)
- 3 working ballpoint pens
- a 2009 weekly organizer
- a regular ruler, a scale ruler, a triangle, and 3 tape measures
- 3 color markers
- 2 highlighters
- a box cutter
- 2 dried up glue sticks
- 2 travel sewing kits
- 3 spools of thread
- 2 boxes of matches from Hong Kong, reminding me of our vacation there making me smile
- a Leatherman
- packet of EmergenC
- a stapler
- a box of staples
- Scotch tape
- cough drops still in package
- unopened memory card for camera
- lens cleaning cloth that came with our camera — unopened
- travel power converter
- a box of incense cones from a Christmas ornament our German friend gave us
- USB cord for camera
- USB cord for IPod (an extra one)
- an extra set of earphones
- tube of Blistex
- laser toy for cat
- return address labels
- $2.79 in change
- Tide to Go pen (love these!)
- a fold up subway map
- spare set of car keys
- Forever stamps
- a shoelace we use as a cat toy
After sorting through my drawer, I threw out some stuff, put some items away, and kept the rest of the items where they were but just made it a whole lot neater. A drawer organizer sure would help keep this drawer from becoming such a mess. Maybe I should also start calling it something other than a junk drawer? I actually put my Bloomie’s card back in the drawer when I was done organizing. It is safer there!
Images 1 and 2: Sparrow King