Organizing Shoes By The Door
The debate over whether shoes are permitted in the home or not is a heated and passionate one that raises good arguments on both sides. Lately, we’ve been taking our shoes off in an effort to keep the house cleaner. But this has raised another set of issues. Our front door opens right into our living room, so a pile of shoes is a definite eyesore. And then…well..we have a lot of shoes. What to do, what to do? We’ve rounded up some ideas that might work, depending on your particular challenge.
- If you have the wall space, this cabinet from the Container Store doesn’t take up a lot of room. Its shallow depth means that it won’t take up a lot of floor space if, like us, your front door deposits you directly into your living room.
- If, unlike us, you have few shoes (or are better at putting your shoes away, try making this shoe rack.
- If you have your own stairway-ed entrance way (and you have an especially fab collection of footwear), you might want to steal a page from Gregory and Emily and display your shoes on the stairs.
- If your entrance way is long and narrow, wooden magazine racks can make your shoe collection seem almost like art.
- A variation on the magazine rack solution, molding, like picture rails, is another way to organize your shoes. Best, if like us, you’ve got a lot of high heels.
- If your front entrance way includes a particularly deep closet, install a plethora of poles low down and hang up your shoes. It might also be fun to hang them on a coat rack.