When it comes to decorating on the cheap, paper lanterns are a great place to turn. You can pick them up in any Chinatown for a few dollars or buy them online at Luna Bazaar starting under $1.
These five projects take the basic paper lantern and each gives it a unique spin. From Real Living's lovely vintage look with fabric covered shades to a graphic typography version the options are limitless.
1. Handy Woman: Fabric lanterns via Real Living
2. Letter Lantern Tutorial via Font Crafts
3. Ruffle Lantern via Blush and Bashful
4. Paper Scrap Light via Design Sponge
5. Bunting Paper Lantern via Ohdeedoh
Images: As credited above.