Although it's an old art form found in most cultures (known in German-speaking countries as Scherenschnitte, for example), papercut art seems to be enjoying a revival with young artists. We purchased a piece a few years ago and were blown away by the intricate cutting and design. We were also pleasantly surprised at how affordable an original piece can be.
We rounded up some of our favorites for kids and families above, but look around for something that appeals to you. We found almost all of these on Etsy and most of these artists have tons and tons of different designs to choose from. Many will also happily do custom work if you have something special in mind.
• 1 Valentine or First Anniversary Papercut (with up to five custom silhouettes) by Paper Cuts by Joe ($75)
• 2 Swing Papercut by Paper Cut Die Cut ($30)
• 3 Sweet Dreams Bunnies (will customize with child's name for $2 extra) by My Serenity Way ($15)
• 4 Peter Pan Papercut by Tina Tarnoff ($85)
• 5 A Warm Bird Family Papercut by Swipxa ($35)
• 6 Playing Papercut by Paper Cut Die Cut ($15)
• 8 Custom Family Papercut by Jenny Lee Fowler ($100)
• 9 Alice Papercut by mrYen ($17)
• 10 3D Butterflies in Shadowbox by My Serenity's Way ($28)
If you're interested in trying papercutting yourself, you might be interested in Paper Cuts: 35 Inventive Projects just released by Lark Books.