A Wallpaper Designer’s Dream Home Reflects Her Pastel-Positive Attitude
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
When Réka Thornton and her family, which includes her partner, Dave; kids, Lily and Aron; and two pets, moved into their dream home nine years ago, they looked to the weather when designing their space.
“I love colorful interiors; they add interest to any room. Because the weather is grey in the U.K. quite a lot, I realized that pastel colors suit my home better,” Thornton writes of her Hertfordshire home. “The light in the house is limited a lot of times, so beige and grey colors are very dull and made us feel depressed. As soon as we added colors, we wanted more and more.”
“As soon as I walked in, I fell in love with it … we looked online first, and this was the second house we looked at, but I knew immediately that this was my dream home. We never looked for other houses again,” Thornton shares.
PAINT & COLORS
- I usually color match the paint to my wallpaper, so I don’t have paint color names.
- Bluebell sofa in Peony — Sofa.com
- Modern soft rugs — Ruggable
- Lilac sideboard (painted in “Violet Macaroon” by Rustoleum) — IKEA
KITCHEN / DINING ROOM
- Chloe Trellis Fuchsia Pink rug — Ruggable
- Chairs — Amazon
- Table (painted by me) — IKEA
- Kitchen units — Wren
- “Unicorn” rainbow tiles — Ca Pietra
- Walk-in wardrobe — IKEA (we painted it in “Strawberry Vanilla” color by Rustoleum)
- Dot border mint rug — Ruggable
- Bed — Next
- Our bathroom is the oldest in the house now; we hope to renovate it next year!