The element of surprise is usually a welcome addition to a room's decor, especially when it has a humorous edge. So tonight— because we can all use something light at the end of a long week— I'm sharing a few of my favorite perfectly unusual design inspirations...
• 1. Purposefully out of proportion fixtures always get me. I love this quirky gigantic lamp and tiny chair combo from Abigail Ahern's home.
• 2. Hallways are perfect places to experiment with out-of-place and unexpected decor details because they transform the space into something more than a forgettable walk-through. I bet this nostalgic hopscotch painting is every bit as enticing to adults as it is to kids.
• 3. I suppose it would take quite the room to not make Eero Aarnio's Bubble Chair look out of place, but I suppose that's why it's so delicious. In any room, but especially in a very traditional room it always seems to be playfully and quite happily breaking the rules.
• 4. Pink can't help but look punchy especially in an understated space like this that looks like it's patiently waiting to be enlivened.
• 5. The contrast of rough primitives in tailored spaces adds instant interest and personality. If this picture did not happen to be from a catalog, I might venture to say it's the perfect way to break up the catalog-y feel....
What purposefully out of place deigns keep your home interesting?