April kicks off 'National Gardening Month' and 'Million Trees NYC Month' - Here is a short list of lectures and events in April happening all over the city. Do you know one that's not on the list? Post it in the comments and let everyone know about it!
- Amy Stewart : Author of Flower Confidential. She will be lecturing at the HSNY on Wednesday, April 16, 7 pm as part of their stellar lecture and demonstration lineup. It's FREE TO THE PUBLIC - so a great way to visit their space - and you can bet it will be lively. If anyone has questions for Amy you can post below (hoping to make it out on a school night!).
- The Brooklyn Botanic Garden: Hanami starts this weekend and their annual plant sale is coming the first week of May!
- Central Park Earth Day: April 20th, a Sunday, concerts and gardening events in the park. There will be a tour of the park's diverse collection of trees - a great way to learn more about one of the park's true assets.
- NYC Grows Garden Festival: If you can see the lessons through the sponsorships, there will be many lectures and demonstrations geared towards container gardening (as well as a full schedule of events for the kiddos) at Union Square on April 27th.
- The High Price of Bananas:A photo exhibition at St. Francis College. They will also host a panel discussion on April 21st, 12:30-1:30, to discuss the issues surrounding pesticide use in agriculture.
- MILLION TREES NYC has a fantastic events calendar that covers the entire month and spans the boroughs and parks. Learn about your city while getting outdoors! You can also learn more about the NYC's million trees movement on the site and how you can get involved.
matt at apartment therapy dot com