By now, the clean lines and natural materials of "modern rustic" style have become a familiar sight. The aesthetic mixes 21st century organic modernism with nostalgia for traditional American and European woodworking, and one area where this style is really catching on is kitchen design.
Kitchens seem to be trending towards freestanding pieces that can be more easily reconfigured. Solid wood cabinets fit in perfectly with the modern rustic look and have built-in staying power. As tastes change, wood can be stripped, painted, or refinished.
The examples shown above range from several thousands of dollars for a Bulthaup kitchen to $400 for an acacia wood veneer piece from CB2. To get the look for less, search for cabinets at unfinished wood furniture stores, or search craigslist for simple wooden jelly cabinets and cupboards.
• Bulthaup b2 Kitchen Workshop, price on request
• Grand French Casement Cabinet from Restoration Hardware, $3,000
• Teak Rough Storage Cupboard, $2,500
• Pacifica Buffet from Crate & Barrel, on sale for $2,400 (reg. $2,700)
• Acacia Mini Bar from CB2, $400