"Giraffes are the new bird-on-a-stick." That's a quote from Apartment Therapy's own Chris Phillips, who coined the term bird-on-a-stick over three years ago — at least the way we use it in our office. It's a reference to the cliché hipster insta-style brilliantly captured by Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein's Put a Bird on It sketch from the IFC show Portlandia. After Chris' declaration, I started to see giraffes everywhere and it seems like he got it right.
While giraffes have been a classic motif in both nursery decor and the global-import "World Market" aesethetic, they've recently become badges that signify hipster cred. Printmakers and artists like Hybrid Home, Threadless, Petit Collage, and Berkeley Illustration have all used giraffes in their work. Hybrid Home's limited edition print actually combines the giraffe and bird motifs, as does Threadless' giraffe wall decal.
Anthropologie's picked up on the trend — we counted 11 giraffe-themed items in their home decor catalog. And the ultimate test... an Etsy search for giraffe turned up 12,134 products in the handmade category alone.
What do you think? Are giraffes the new bird-on-a-stick?
- Threadless I'm Like a Bird Giraffe Wall Decal at Blik, $35
- Limited Edition Giraffe Print at Design Public, $40
- Jonathan Adler Giraffe Lamp, $395, shown in an Ohdeedoh Nursey Tour
- Jonathan Adler Kissing Giraffe Pillow, $165
- Savannah Story Giraffe Bust at Anthropologie, $68
- Set of Giraffe Stack Pots at Anthropologie, $128
- Riley the Giraffe at WallPops, $32
- Giraffe Wall Art from Numi, $28 - $118
- Inke Heiland Giraffe Wallpaper Silhouette, $110, shown in a photo from Domino
- Giraffe Table Cards from Etsy Seller Cuddle Creatures, $12