CHI Good Questions: Replacement Glass?

CHI Good Questions: Replacement Glass?

Janel Laban
Dec 12, 2007

Richard sent us a good question:

"Where can i get replacement glass for an Eileen Gray table?"

Email us your good questions and pics : chicago(at)apartmenttherapy(dot)com

Thanks for writing, Richard. Replacement tops are available through most any glass shop - here is some info, advice and a recommendation:

Reader Meg B. says: "I have worked with Glass Works on Clybourn (just north of North Ave. by Land of Nod). They have a lot to select from - my favorite was their starfire (name?) glass. It is very clear and pure in color, which cuts down on the aqua/green cast that standard glass tends to have."

Reader Boomer says:
"Speaking as someone who has had a lot of custom glass work done, including etched mirrors and a replacement top for an Eileen Gray table... Any glass shop can make one for you. Call around and get the best price. Make sure to specify tempered glass. A good way to save money is to opt to not have a beveled edge. A pencil edge can look nice and be less expensive. The least expensive edge treatment is a simple polished edge. Be sure to get quotes of each type of edge treatment from each of the glass shops you call."

A few more sources in Chicago:
Costello Glass and Mirror, 2232 S. Wabash, 312.842.6660

Ashland Glass and Mirror Design, 3926 N. Ashland, 773.472.3700

Good luck with the project!

Can anyone else share a recommendation for a good glass shop in town?

moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt