Name: Rachel and her daughter Skylar + Lola (the dog)
Location: Silver Lake — Los Angeles, California
Size: 1,500 square feet
Years lived in: 5 — owned
One of my favorite people is leaving Los Angeles. On top of that, she's selling her house, a place that's become practically a second home to me. Like Rachel, this house is full of warmth and personality. Also, like Rachel, it's always ready to welcome you in, a home where there's always a meal or a drink in the offing.
The flow of the house means it's a natural for a party, whether two or two hundred, formal or informal, planned or spontaneous. It's easy to gather around the coffee table in the living room to watch a movie. Set the dining table for dinner while still carrying on a conversation with the cook? No problem. Whether it's piling a group of kids into the cozy kitchen nook for a pancake breakfast or, sitting outside at the bar on the deck with a cocktail, watching the group that's gathered in the spacious kitchen to help cook, or racing for the hot tub as the night cools down, this is a house that is truly always open to gather friends and family (there's even a back house, complete with a ping pong table and a swing, to crash in if the gathering goes into the wee hours). This is one person and one house I'll definitely miss.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Bohemian Glamor. I think the house marries my inner hippie with the side of me that's often in heels and always in nail polish.
Inspiration: Travel, magazines, my family's homes and vacation spots. My mother has the most amazing garden; I wish mine looked like hers!
Favorite Element: The porch and the backyard! I'm always out there in any weather.
Biggest Challenge: Stopping myself from constantly making changes. There's always things I want to tweak! I've got a list of projects a mile long.
What Friends Say: We'll be right over!
Biggest Embarrassment: I haven't gotten around to redoing the bathroom yet.
Proudest DIY: Hmmm, maybe Skylar's room. I put it together — shopped, painted, decorated, hung curtains — in one weekend while she was with her father! I'm actually quite handy with a drill and I make fast decisions.
Biggest Indulgence: The deck furniture, garden furniture and benches were a big splurge two summers ago.
Best Advice: I'm always thinking of my home with people in it. I probably make the most changes in the days or weeks leading up to a big party when I know I'll have a crowd and I want the house to really "work" for what I've planned. The piano arrived just before I threw myself a talent show birthday party!
Dream Sources: I've always wanted one of those hanging bubble chairs for Skylar's room and there's some Italian furniture I'd like to get my hands on.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Not sure of the colors but I know they're all Martha Stewart, except for the blue in Skylar's room and the orange in the hallway. Those were spur of the moment decisions made at Home Depot. The colors in the back house are Benjamin Moore.
- • Couches: St. Vincent de Paul
• Coffee table : Out of the Closet
• Pillows: made from remnants found at The Loft above Michael Levine's, downtown
• Throw: Barney's NY
• Rug: Rug remnant from Linoleum City
• Curtains: Target
- • Table and Chairs: eBay
• Hutch: It's built in! (It's one of the features that made me fall in love with the house when I first saw it.)
• Rug: rug remnant from Linoleum City
• Credenza: Sonrisa
• Chandelier: Fairfax Flea Market
- • Stove came with the house, Refrigerator and Washer/Dryer are LQ. Love 'em!
• Pillows and cushions in the breakfast nook were made from fabric I found at Michael Levine
• Vintage china plates from Grandma
- • Night tables: Room Service
• Bed: Room Service (Custom)
• Dresser: Room Service (Custom)
• Chair: Craigslist. I recovered the seat with the same fabric as the lampshade in Skylar's room.
• Curtains: DIY
- • Original to the house!
DECK & GARDEN
- • Pottery Barn modular pieces and cushions
- • Bed: IKEA
• Night table: Componibili Round Storage Module by Kartell
• Dresser: thrift store find. I put new knobs on
• Chair and ottoman: thrift store finds
- • Bed and Mirror and small rattan chair: IKEA
• Ping Pong table: Craig's List
• Couch and chairs: Craig's List
• Art: eBay
• Throw: DIY
• Curtains: Target
Thanks, Rachel, Skylar and Lola!!
Images: Abby Stone; additional photographs by Michael Schmidt
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.