- Los Angeles, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I really love how charming our building is - it has elements of a storybook cottage with its scalloped white trim, trailing vines, and bay windows. Also, we're extremely spoiled to live in the city where we can walk to cafes and shops, but also have a private enclosed yard. With two dogs and two kids, that last one seems really necessary. Outdoor space and great weather do a lot for making a home seem bigger!
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Use double-duty items and furniture as much as possible. Our bedside table functions as a sort of "mini-dresser," our bed has storage under it, and the cubbies on the side of the bed are where two dog beds are located.
2. Let your walls and furniture breathe a little. Leave extra room on your surfaces so if you've left out a few belongings that you're using it doesn't immediately feel crazy cluttered.
3. Everybody says this, but edit ruthlessly and only keep the things you really love and need! I feel like I'm only starting to get a handle on this one, and it's partially because living in a 610 square foot home with five other living beings is forcing my hand. You need less of everything than you think.