You're getting very sleepy... no, seriously. Last night was a late one. And the night before that. And the night before that. You know deep-down you should be going to be earlier, so let's help you get started. Here are some darn good reasons to get in bed early tonight.
1. Because this is what you would do if you were on vacation: Imagine, tonight, that instead of being at home recovering from a long day at work, you were at some resort someplace. Admit it—you would go to bed early. Because it's a way we treat ourselves. It's enjoyable. It's plain, old-fashioned nice. Why not treat yourself tonight? Why do we need a vacation to make an excuse to be nice to ourselves?
2. Because you want to stay healthy: A healthy lifestyle is what helps you fight off sickness. Harvard Medical School offers, "Every part of your body, including your immune system, functions better when protected from environmental assaults and bolstered by healthy-living strategies such as..." you guessed it: getting a good night's sleep is definitely on the list.
3. Because you've made a New Year's resolution to lose weight: The link between a good night's sleep and losing weight is not direct, but it's there: if you go to bed earlier, it follows that you'll have more energy to move around in the day, and maybe even enough energy to head to the gym. And you'll snack less often, too. Overeating can happen as an attempt to stay alert when tired.
4. Because you've been getting a little down during the winter months: Even one bad night's sleep can lead to feeling irritable and angry. Prolonged sleep deprivation can lead to depression. And according to Psychology Today, not getting enough sleep can even prevent you from enjoying the emotional benefits of a positive experience. All of this points to one thing: if you want to lift your mood, put a good night's rest on the to-do list.
5. Because you've got a good-looking bedroom and a comfy bed that you really don't make the most of: Just say you had a friend who spent a lot of time and effort redecorating their kitchen... and then never used it. Wouldn't you think they were crazy? Well, isn't that the same way we treat our bedrooms sometimes? If you are an Apartment Therapy reader, chances are you've got a pretty great-looking bedroom. Well, you made that bed, now go lie in it!