Review: Loom & Leaf Memory Foam Bed
My Year In Bed (YIB) just keeps going as I keep getting requests to try more mattresses. This one is also from a new company, Saatva, who has just launched a new brand, Loom & Leaf, a line of memory foam mattresses to pair with their traditional spring models. While not a big fan of memory foam in general, I found this bed very comfortable and not at all the “sink into it and get stuck” type of foam bed. It’s soft on top and similar to a sprung model in its overall firmness. It’s also very well priced for the category.
Saatva with their regular brand and now their Loom & Leaf memory foam brand is a very new company that is disrupting the mattress business by cutting out the middleman and selling direct to consumers online. This is not a new idea, but they have quickly expanded from traditional to foam mattresses in order to stay ahead of the competition.→ Do you sleep on a
While skeptical last year, having not heard of Saatva, I do think that they are delivering a great bed at this price point and higher. I’ve had friends purchase Loom & Leaf recently as well and they give it very high marks.
Apparently the mattress industry needs a little shaking up!
I slept really well. I tested the Relaxed Firm (their softest), because I wanted it to be on the softer side and it was NOT soft, but it was pleasantly cushy on top and NOT hot at all. I sleep most of the night on my back, then switch to my side in the morning and both ways were comfortable. Loom & Leaf only has two firmnesses, and they apparently aim to please those (ie. most Americans) that like firmer beds as it really was medium to firm in my book.
NOTE: This is totally unlike a Tempur-Pedic memory foam bed in which you have one highly responsive foam layer that wraps around your body when you lie down. You lie ON this bed and not IN it, so if you really like that Tempur feeling, this bed is not for you.
Surprisingly and pleasantly there was absolutely no off-gassing smell the first night I was on the bed, which is common with memory foam beds.
Loom & Leaf has put all their best materials up top, close to your body to give you the memory foam experience as well as make sure that you touch good, organic cotton and not polyester should you slip below the sheets. In that way this bed is very much a hybrid meant to draw in those that like a bit of memory foam, but not scare anyone away. The memory foam is on top, the rest is just a good foam.
The bed is made of four layers:
- Support base 5.5″ “This is our high-density foam core which acts as the foundation and support for the layers above.”
- Transition loft pad 2″ “This luxurious transfer layer rests between our 5.5″ support base layer and our 5 lb. memory foam Layer.”
- 5 lb. visco-elastic memory foam 2.5″ “This is the core or “heart” of the mattress, and the layer that gives your body that deep contouring support. Our high quality visco elastic memory foam in this layer is certified by CertiPUR-US ®, which means our foam has met rigorous and specific criteria for physical performance, indoor emissions and environmental stewardship.”
- Enhanced conforming and cooling 2″ “Our patented gel-on-gel design in this top layer is unique and provides a cool, supportive sleep environment…”
They’ve gone very far, as well, to make sure that the mattress is healthy. They only use plant-based foams and non-toxic medical grade gel so there are no PBDE flame retardants or formaldehydes and only low VOC’s.
The quality and feel of the outside mattress is extremely nice and they are right in saying that it seems much more luxurious than what you’d expect for just under $1k.
Where Saatva really excels is on price, and they do a good job of getting this claim out front. For the money you are definitely getting a lot of mattress and you really would have to spend a lot more to beat this offering. Most mattresses under $1,000 are not half as good, and those that cost twice as much are just as good.
Year In Bed Bed Reviews:
- Keetsa – The Keetsa Pillow Plus
- Charles P. Rogers – The Biltmore Bed by C.P. Rogers
- Room & Board – Encased Coil Natural Mattress by Room & Board
- Zenhaven – Natural Latex Matress
- Tempurpedic – TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme with Advanced Ergo Adjustable Base
- Sealy – Embody Memory Foam Stillness Plus Bed by Sealy
- Simmons – Danny Seo Natural Care Bed by Simmons
- Natura – Natura Latex Tranquil