Taking an iconic comic and transforming it into a sexy murder mystery could have been a disaster. Sure, casting "hot" Archie was a step in the right direction. But then, to layer in this noir world around him and the rest of the unfairly beautiful cast was [kisses fingers] brilliant.
Each character has a unique home — Jughead lives in Sunnyside Trailer Park; Archie Andrews lives in a craftsman-style house; Veronica Lodge resides in a swanky penthouse condo complete with doorman – but their real homebase is the legendary Pop's diner. It's retro and sinister and the perfect place for a murder or an underground illegal poker game. Once you clean up the blood stains, it's a very cute place to hang out. Let's dig into the details, shall we?
If you can change the finishes in your home, this is a great opportunity to do it. However, "retro" looks can get cheesy, quickly. Just stick to classic materials and shapes. White subway tile with dark grout is a sophisticated way to do black & white tile. Those decorative tin ceiling tiles could make a fun feature wall if you're not committed to refinishing your ceiling. Paint your lower cabinets black, upper cabinets white, and add white countertops. Now you have a fresh, clean palette to which you can add fun, retro pops.
My favorite element to pick out is lighting. If you're trying to create a transitional space that doesn't scream retro, stick with an oversized globe pendant. If you want something that goes a bit further, try a schoolhouse drum shade. Both are interesting and sleek, giving you the perfect glow under which to enjoy a milkshake (add bourbon for a late night treat).
You can definitely add color into the furniture. A chic diner always has a pop of color. In Pop's, it's red, but feel free to pick whatever color calls to you. Just keep it to a single color, otherwise it can start to veer into cartoonish. Pair a simple round table with colorful molded plastic shell chairs with metal legs.
Lastly, you've got to throw in a couple pieces of diner memorabilia. On the bar cart, add a table top gumball machine and a neon light. Or a miniature jukebox. It's a fun touch that your guests will be sure to compliment. A colorful standing mixer wouldn't be out of place either. Now you can invite Archie Andrews over for a burger and fries.
Get the look
- Tin tiles: 24" x 24" Fleur de Lis Tin Tile, $7.25
- Sconces: Schoolhouse Irvine Single Sconce, $169
- Pendant: Schoolhouse Union Pendant, $199
- Neon hamburger: Urban Outfitters Hamburger Neon Sign, $69
- Hex tile: Hexagon 1" White Matte Porcelain Mosaic Floor and Wall Tile, starting at $5.95
- Globe pendants: Schoolhouse Luna Pendant Rod, $299
- Gumball machine: Classic Gumball Machine, sale $54.99
- Pedestal table: IKEA Docksta Table, $179
- Chairs: Retro DSX Metal Leg Dining Lounge Side Chair, $99.99
- Jukebox: Bluetooth Tabletop Jukebox, $280
- Cart: Crate & Barrel Libations Bar Cart, $599
- Neon fresh: Urban Outfitters Fresh Neon Sign, $79
- Subway tile: Porcelain Mosaic Tile in Glossy White, sale $6.04/sq. ft.
- Counter stools: Target Threshold Adjustable Swivel Barstool, sale $59.99
- Countertop: IKEA Lilltrask coutner, $39-$44
- Paint colors: Benjamin Moore Springtime Green 611; Benjamin Moore Black Satin 2131-10; Benjamin Moore Bull's Eye Red 2002-20