Name: Rondell Sheridan
Location: Los Angeles, California
Size: 3,200 square feet
Years lived in: 12 years
When I first met Rondell at one of his summer parties years ago, I fell in love with the design of his home. He was patient with the process and took his time to save up to purchase his dream furniture and accessories. I was very impressed when he told me about all the little details and considerations he accounted for when putting together the space.
Living alone, Rondell was able to design the space to fit his lifestyle. He is often found cooking in the kitchen, so remodeling that room was a must. He talked with several friends who had recently refinished their kitchen to get their best advice before moving forward — included in the remodel was a small TV for catching sports highlights while preparing meals and a phone jack by the stove.
Because Rondell did not have a formal dining room and needed a landing area in the entryway, he had a breakfast bar installed with a curved granite countertop. Looking into the living room, the 24" x 24" hanging pendant lights command the space. After seeing large pendants in his favorite restaurants, Rondell knew he wanted to find something similar for his home.
Another unique feature in his space is the elevator. The home is three levels and Rondell wanted the convenience of avoiding a multitude of stairs. My first fear about the elevator was the possibility of it getting stuck when no one else was in the home. Rondell installed a phone in the elevator in the event any such issues arise!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Eclectic modern
Inspiration: My personal style
Favorite Element: Media room
Biggest Challenge: Still trying to design a dining room area
What Friends Say: My house is comfy cozy. You just want to fall asleep in the space. A friend once said the my house looks like a hotel lobby. I took it as a compliment.
Biggest Embarrassment: It used to be my kitchen before I remodeled it
Proudest DIY: Designing my daybed + chaise (combination) by the stairs in the living room
Biggest Indulgence: Media room
Best Advice: Put a phone outlet by the range in the kitchen. If you cook a lot, you will especially value this advice. It is much easier to press the speakerphone on the phone dock versus trying to hold the phone to your ear while cooking.
Resources of Note:
- Neiman Marcus
- Philippe Starck: Sofa in Dining Room, Two-tone Chair by Window in Living Room
- Pottery Barn: Orange Sofas
- Linea: Credenza in Dining Room
- Horchow: Mirror
- Restoration Hardware: Media Room
- Maly Bed: Linea
- Viking Double Oven
- GE Monogram Refrigerator
- U-Line Drawers
- Bosch Dishwasher
- Viking Cooktop
- Cherry Hardwood Flooring
TILE AND STONE
- Granite Countertops
- Porcelain Tile: Mannington
- Bill Mack Essence Bonded Bronze
- Alien Nude Series (photography): Rondell Sheridan
- Bed Headboard: Original Lolita Poster
Images: Rondell Sheridan
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.