I confess, I love my Swiffer. It's lightweight and collapses down so small. I can tuck it out of the way and I don't have to keep a smelly bacteria-soaked mop around. When I am done, I don't have to spend time more time "cleaning" the cleaning supplies. I do not love that it uses disposable pads. Fortunately, reusable machine-washable Swiffer pads are easy to come by.
This is a topic that has had some great coverage on Re-nest, including the following posts:
- Simple Green: Replace the Disposables to Green Your Swiffer
- Hot Tips: Two Reusable Swiffer Tutorials
- Top Ten: Ways to Recycle Your Old Towels and Sheets
You can also make your own:
- Use old dish towels, rags, and even shirts trimmed to size and tucked into the grabbers.
- Knit your own, gives you a little more tooth to scrub with.
Or buy pre-made:
- Crocheted Swiffer Cover from Uniquelymore on etsy, $3.50 (image 4, above)
- Cotton Crocheted Swiffer Cover from Skybox on etsy, $3.50 (image 5, above)