- Grand Rapids, MI
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- So many things! The apartment is situated in a turn of the century building and holds a few charming original characteristics. It also has beautiful floors and tall ceilings and the space fills up with a lot of natural light during the day (thanks to a skylight)! The pocket doors are also really great. They allow the space to feel open and bright or closed off and compartmentalized when wanted.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1) Plants! They're magical and create a nice visual texture that can't be replicated. They make my space feel like home.
2) Art! I have a LOT of wall space. Like plants, art adds a richness to a space and aids in creating a very personal and self reflecting place.
3) Keep things minimal! Small spaces sometimes require (or challenge) you to be minimal. I like collecting things but often find that I don't have the right space for objects I acquire. Really thinking about the object and the space it's going in is crucial, especially for larger objects that might become in the way or have no where to go at home if they end up not working out for their original purpose.