Sandra & Justin's Kitchen: New Floors!

Sandra & Justin's Kitchen: New Floors!

Jul 16, 2013

Lucy dancing on the new bamboo flooring.

Name: Sandra & Justin
Type of Project: Kitchen remodel
Location: Arlington, Texas
Type of building: Single-family home, 2,450 square feet

The Renovation Diaries are a new collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.

This week really felt like a big change in the remodel. Hallelujah. The fabulous crew from Ged's Flooring came in and installed the flooring and baseboards in two days. While we did not do the actual flooring install ourselves, we did do all of the removal of the old flooring and moving of the furniture out and back in again ourselves. By doing that, and also purchasing our baseboards from a builder's supply store, we were able to save about $1000. It meant a bit of sweat on our part, but we didn't mind at all.

Lucy playing on the 56 boxes of flooring in the living room. We brought the flooring into the house to acclimate about one week prior to installation.

We were glad to pass on the install and watch the professionals work, especially since the slab proved to be just as problematic as we had suspected. There were areas that required patching and many bags of self-leveling cement to smoothed out the low spots that needed it. A portion of the room had once had a step down area that was filled in by the previous owner, and never properly leveled, so it was good to have someone do it correctly, and to get the guarantee that they will fix whatever needs fixing for the next 25 years. We hope to not need it.

A view of the newly finished wall between the kitchen. and dining room from the living room. 

A day later we had the texturing crew come in to do what we proved we weren't capable of last week. They were fast and more efficient with their power sprayer, which was much better than our basic hopper operation. 

Painting the wall the wrong color.

As soon as the texture was dry two days later, Justin and I painted the ceiling ultra white with rollers on poles, and then began painting a test wall with the color we thought we liked, a gray with a green undertone. But when we got a few square feet of it up, we both knew it was all wrong. Even though we had tried it against other colors and tried it in different parts of the kitchen and looked at it in all sorts of light throughout the day, it just wasn't the effect we thought it would be. Back to the drawing board. We will try again next week, because right now I am so afraid of getting it wrong again, I am nervous about choosing too fast.

Tile samples to choose from.  

But we had yet another success this week. After lots of deliberation, we finally choose a tile for the backsplash. I love, love the look of white hex tile that reminds me of the the old homes I saw in Baltimore, when we lived there. Classic white subway tiles also felt crisp and simple: modern, but classic. The final decision came when I was sitting in the living room and looked up at our brick fireplace. I had just painted glossy white months before — it was a perfect connection from the two rooms and just made sense to give the house some more cohesiveness. Now to go shopping for some glossy white tiles for the backsplash, because the cabinets should be ready next week. Yes! And yes again for a room that no longer looks like a construction site.

After getting the baseboards up and texture on the walls and ceiling, we moved the fridge into the new space.

Estimated time for project: 10 weeks, which will likely swell to 11
Time remaining: 5 weeks

Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us next week for #11 of Sandra and Justin's Diary.

(Images and diary text: Sandra Jergensen)

More posts in Renovation Diary: Sandra & Justin's Kitchen
moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt