- Santa Maria, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- After renting rooms for the last 10 years, its wonderful to have an entire space to myself. Being able to decorate with what I like, instead of compromising, means I finally feel completely comfortable in my home instead of a long-term guest that pays rent. Almost everything in my home has a story attached to it: the suitcase that belonged to my great grandfather, the chair my mom helped me reuphulster, and the steamer trunk my family inherited from Walter Lantz that I accidently locked myself into when I was 4. Most of the photos and artwork are my own as well. Everywhere I look there's a great story that makes me smile.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1) Use what you love. If you don't love it, you aren't going to happy seeing it, and in a small space, its much more difficult to ignore.
2) To quote Tim Gunn "Make it work." There will always be something about a space that isn't to your liking. Accentuate what you do like, and learn how to make what you don't work for you in the best way possible. Some times it just takes stepping back from whatever it is that you don't like and looking at it in a new way.
3) Make organization your Best Friend. I admit, I'm not the best at organizing things. I have a really good friend that is great at it, so she helped me find a place for everything. I was amazed how she was able to carve out a place for things that I'd given up having a place for. I now have a place for EVERYTHING and still have some room left over. It's magic, I tell you!