This look falls somewhere between a hip restaurant booth and a homey, conversation-centered dining room. Along the same lines as adding a sofa at the dining table, the semicircular banquette is an approach that might not work for everyone, but it does have a couple of specific advantages.
With a round table and a circular seating, you can fit more people than a rectangular table with sidechairs. The upholstered banquette is also super-comfortable. It encloses the space, creating a "room within a room" arrangement that works well in lofts and open-plan spaces.
Although the most of the options shown above are on the high end, you can sometimes find semicircular banquettes on craiglist and in thrift stores. We've seen a few show up in the Apartment Therapy classifieds as well.
• Custom Banquette by Davison Highley at Floridita, London
• Terra Cotta Banquette from Neiman Marcus, $2,000
• Leopard Banquette from Horchow, $2,400
• Custom High-Back S-Shaped Banquette by Davison Highley, London
• Built-in Banquette from Summer and Josh's Pumped Up Traditional
Photos: Floridita, Neiman Marcus, Horchow, Davison Highley, Evan Thomas