- Location: online only
- Website: hearthsong.com
- Founded: 1983
- Founded by: Barbara Kane
- Headquarters: Madison, VA
- Sister stores: Magic Cabin, Plow & Hearth
Like many kids' store owners, Barbara Kane began her business as a parent searching for quality products. She founded HearthSong on the belief that "children need time for imaginative play," and she focused on toys made of durable, safe materials.
Barbara no longer owns the company. In 2001, it was purchased by 1-800-FLOWERS (weird, we didn't know they owned a kids' toy store) and they moved the headquarters to Madison, Virginia. HearthSong's sister stores include Magic Cabin, another store we've profiled on Apartment Therapy, and Plow & Hearth.
They've retained Barbara's focus on classic toys, and 25 percent of their inventory is designed and developed in-house (click here to check out the HearthSong exclusives line). A few of our favorite pieces from the catalog are pictured above and linked below.
- Walk n Roll, on sale for $15
- Backyard Playhouse, $500
- Montana Stacking Puzzle, on sale for $15
- Nature-Inspired Tipi, $160
- Pretend Microwave, on sale for $30
- Firefly Lantern, on sale for $9
- Child's Garden Tools and Wheelbarrow, starting at $30
- Pretend Kitchen Furniture, starting at $70
- Geometric GelGems Dots, on sale for $15
- Toy Storage Organizer, $160
Around the Web
- Hearthsong[Musings from a SAHM]