- Location: online only
- Specialty: Online store specializing in products that are customizable.
- Price range: $$
- Website: store.module-r.com/index.php
- Founded by: Donald Rattner
Module R is the perfect store for renters and anyone who likes to play with their purchases. From customizable art to adaptable and collapsible furniture, Module R offers household items that can be transformed to suit your needs.
You could say Module R founder Donald Rattner is obsessed with modular furniture and accessories. As a practicing architect and head of Studio for A.R.T. and Architecture, Rattner was "commissioned by developer clients to design a four-bedroom cottage for a resort. The twist was that the developers needed thirty identical cottages in time for an upcoming convention booked at the hotel later that year. Faced with these demands, there seemed to be only one viable strategy for the project team to meet the challenge: build 'em modular."
• Remake Wall Lights: Remake is a modular lighting system that gives you the means to create your own wall-mounted light sculptures and installations.
• WallArt Paneling: WallArt brings your walls to life with modern and eco-friendly 3-dimensional wall panels made out of the fibrous residue of sugarcane after the raw sugar has been extracted.
• DIY Felt Tapestries: Create contemporary tapestries, carpets, table runners and anything else you can imagine out of these felt modules.
• Mix Boxes: The Mix Boxes return a lo-fi interactivity to a world made busy by complex devices and objects. The set includes six well-crafted boxes of varying size that allow you to create compositions based on your unique design and storage needs.
• Drift Studio Brooklyn Blanket Chest: Drift Studio has designed several preconfigured pieces using their Riff System, such as this handsome Blanket Chest, which is imprinted with a map of Module R's Brownstone Brooklyn neighborhood.
• Stitch Interlocking Rug: This interlocking rug pieces together like a puzzle. Made from polypropylene, which is a durable material well-suited to areas with significant traffic and use.
• Koziol Hanging Screen Stixx: The Stixx modular partition and screen system was created in 2005 by French designer René Barba in a distinctive diamond-cut profile. The faceted surfaces of each panel will reflect light in multiple directions, thereby producing a glittering, sparkling effect that will keep the eye engaged.
• Shigeru Ban 10-Unit Modular Furniture System: Noted Japanese architect Shigeru Ban based this modular design on L-shaped units that can be combined to make different kinds of seating, from individual chairs to multi-seat configurations.
(Images: Module R)