Small Space Kitchen Tip: Use a Double Magnetic Knife Holder
I recently hung some shelves in my small kitchen and they displaced the magnetic knife rack we had mounted to the wall. Instead of finding another space on a wall, I decided to investigate double magnetic racks to utilize space on the refrigerator. This seems like a pretty simple idea and I expected to find lots of options – not the case! I searched high and low and only found a few options. See what I found, plus a few good DIY ideas…
OPTIONS TO BUY
1. The holder I chose is from Magnetic-Knifeholder.com [now out of business – sorry!] ($17.99/black or gray). At 12″ wide, it is smaller than our previous one, but in the spirit of small space solutions, we decided to get rid of some superfluous knives. Alternately, two holders should fit side-by-side on most standard size fridge sides.
2. Annie Olsen on Etsy sells magnetic holders you can use on your fridge in a few different sizes and woods ($39-45).
3. Blade Catchers on Etsy sells many beautiful options ($82-92)
3. Although only magnetic on one side, Knife Butler on Etsy offers holders that are magnetic on one side to hold your knives and adhesive on the other that “holds forever on any clean surface”, including refrigerators. (reviews are positive)
2. The guys of The Jarboe Initiative created the “Sword Board” by inserting neodymium magnets into drilled holes in the back of these wood strips. They walk you through the process on their site.
If you have a shopping source or a DIY version of this to share with the group, leave it in the comments!