When you want to transform either the look and/or function of an existing piece of furniture, try adding casters. Whatever it is, a set of wheels will make it better. Suddenly, it's on the move, flexible, and looks kind of badass too. If you’ve never thought to do it before, here are eight interesting ideas and applications….
1. A large table on wheels makes for an untraditional kitchen island, lead photo above, from Domino. Push it away if you need more room, or close in as you work.
2. Create an office chair out of a regular dining room chair, like this Crate & Barrel chair see on The Chronicles of Home.
3. Bookshelves can be used for storage against the wall, or moved around as a room divider. From Design Sponge.
4. A dresser becomes a rollable table that alternates between kitchen island and breakfast bar, depending on your needs. From HGTV.
5. Old drawers find a new use as under-the-bed storage, from Better Homes & Gardens. Their ability to roll makes things easier to find and organize.
6. Its purpose remains the same, but the look of this old, rustic dresser turns more modern and industrial with the help of oversized casters, as seen in London’s Folk Clothing store.
7. Adding wheels to a regular cart, shelf or table means you can take the drinks wherever the party ends up in (or outside of) the house. Sugar and Cloth used an IKEA shelving unit (and added handles).
8. Stick a set on a wooden crate and you get a DIY toy box, from This Little Street.