A Cleaning Schedule: How Often Do We Need to Clean?
Spring is almost here and it is time to do some overall cleaning. We admit there is nothing glamourous about cleaning and we dream of the day when we can afford a housekeeper. Until then, we try to keep up with the house work and clean our home with love. Week after week, we wonder how often do we really need to do certain household chores, especially trouble spots like the bathroom and kitchen.
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
We find ourselves more relaxed, happy, and balanced when we are living and working in a clean space. What does it take to keep the home looking beautiful and clean everyday? As we do in every part of our life, we create a checklist or to-do list for the domestic tasks. The list contains what household tasks need to be done and how often.
Short-Term (2 days – 1 week):
- Laundry – Usually once a week is sufficient, depending on if your laundry duty includes more than just your own laundry.
- Vacuum. If you start seeing small bits of dirt on your carpet or floor, it is time to vacuum. We put vacuuming on the weekly cleaning to-do list.
- Dusting. We try to put dusting off for every other week, but really dusting should be a weekly chore.
- Cleaning Sinks. It is always nice to have a water-spot-free and clean sink. Also, by Friday there can be an unattractive toothpaste build up on the sink.
- Cleaning Toilets. This is our least favorite task and it can be a little less than pleasant. We clean it at least once a week or as needed (no further explanation).
Medium-Term (1 week – 1 month):
- Clean Windows. We rotate weeks for when we clean the windows. Cleaning windows can get the best of us because it is very hard to get them streak-free. Either way, we can appreciate when the windows are clean and we can see the beautiful view or sunset.
- Wash Shower/Bathtub. We try to clean the shower every two – three weeks to prevent mildew from growing.
Long-Term (1 month – 6 months):
- Clean Upholstery. We visited one of our friends the other day and he was getting his sofa upholstery professionally cleaned. The representative recommended upholstery be cleaned every 6-12 months for both hygienic reasons and appearances, depending upon use.
- Steam Clean Carpet. It is reasonably priced to rent a steamer to clean the carpet. Unseen dirt and bacteria builds up in carpet and it is important keep it clean, especially if you are prone to allergies.
- Wash Duvet and Blankets. Routinely we wash our sheets, but our duvet on our bed doesn’t get cleaned. We love going to sleep knowing we won’t be bitten by bed bugs – enough said.
Since cleaning can be a bit dull, we found a couple great posts on how to make doing household chores more enjoyable.
Other Cleaning Posts:
- Precisely One Hour of House-Cleaning Music
- How Do You Make Cleaning Less of a Chore?
- Motivation for Organizing
(Images: Murchison-Hume, The Design Files)