Whether you're starting out or starting over, furnishing a stylish home from scratch can seem impossible when you don't have a lot of money. One of our 5 Strategies for Outfitting Your First Apartment is savvy shopping and today I have an example of a bedroom, sourced from wallet-friendly stores, to illustrate what's possible for a little over a thousand dollars.
With any luck some of our other strategies—like asking around for hand-me-downs and cruising Craigslist—will bear fruit (in the form of furniture or accessories) and you won't need to buy everything new, but if you do, here's a sample bedroom to inspire you:
- CURTAINS = $24.99 (2-Pack Curtain Panels in Heather Purple at H&M)
- BED = $399.99 (Modway Stacy Upholstered Platform Bed at Hayneedle) and MATTRESS = (not shown) $170.99 (Priage Green Tea/ Charcoal 6-inch Full-size Memory Foam Mattress at Overstock)
- FRAME = $17.99 (RIBBA frame at IKEA)
- PRINT = $51 (Butterflies and Hibiscus Flowers by Micklyn at Society6)
- DRESSER = $259.99 (Dresser by Sauder)
- HAMPER = $12.88 (Canvas Laundry Hamper with Rope Handles at Walmart)
- MIRROR = $17.99 (Oval Wall Mirror at H&M)
- NESTING TABLES = $49.99 (Pastel Priya Nesting Tables, Set of 2 at World Market)
- RUG = $167.70 on sale (Mancalla CB02 Star Lattice Fringe Rug at RugsUSA)
- FLOOR LAMP = $56.99 (Nixon Floor Lamp at Target)
TOTAL = $1,230.50
What are your favorite wallet-friendly shopping sources?
Like this? Here's a similarly priced living room example:
Just Starting Out: A Smart, Stylish $1200 Living Room