Name: Stef Mesman
Location: The Hague Area, Netherlands
Stef didn't let living in a small space limit his dreams of creating an area clear of clutter and full of utility for his design and music work. With some careful planning (specifically focused upon ergonomics), Stef built himself a desk with flush-mounted accessories, cable and cord management, slide-out keyboard shelf and plenty of hidden storage features for his USB hubs and surge protector, not to mention creating a faux back board for wall-mounting purposes to effectively hide away the additional cables coming out from his iMac and audio speakers.
What do you like best about your workspace? The desk. This was probably the most time consuming build I did. I got myself some MDF board and started sawing, followed up with a base coating and then painted it. The desk can hold my own weight.
The audio controller is build into the desk. I needed some precision power tools to get a hole in it so that it would fit the device perfectly. All the cables of the audio controller run through the wood of the desk (as you see them coming out of the side of the desk).
On the front of the desk there is a retractable shelf which houses my keyboard inside it (it does not provide much space for your legs, but I can still sit comfortably)
Any tips or advice about keeping your desk area and/or computer desktop uncluttered and a productive place to work? Wall mount! It gives a more open look and creates space. The mount I used is one made by Vogels called the EFW6225. After that I put some IKEA Dioders [LEDs] on the back (the pure white ones) to create a modern look.
Tech Resource List:
- 27'' iMac i7 (late 2009 model)
- KRK Rokit powered limited edition Classic (silver woofer)
- Western Digital Desktop Elements 2TB
- T.C. Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6
- 10 port USB hub
- 7 port USB hub/card reader
- Apple wired keyboard with numpad - will be replaced by wireless keyboard
- Apple Magic Mouse
- E-MU x-board 61 (keyboard)
- HP C4780 printer
- Vogels EFW6225 (iMac mount)
- Vogels VLB200 (Speaker mounts)
- IKEA Dioders (behind the iMac)
- Conrad USB multicard reader + 7USB hub metal
Furniture and Decorative Resource List:
- Vogels EFW6225 VESA Mount
- Vogels VLB200 VESA Audio Speaker Mount
- Custom made MDF top desk
- DIY green board for wall mounting purposes
[via MacRumors via Desktopped]
Got a desktop or home office space balancing home technology with home decor? Unplggd would love to share your space as inspiration. Just email us at Unplggd, with the subject "Unplggd DeskTops".