The needs of your skin change throughout the year: While winter might require a heavy moisturizer just so your face doesn't crack in half, summer calls for higher SPFs, lighter face creams and no-fuss, glow-inducing make-up that stays put in the sweatiest of situations. To formulate our summer beauty essentials, we turned to three expert bloggers to share their seasonal must-haves: Emily Schuman of Cupcakes and Cashmere, Amber Katz of Rouge18 and Lara Eurdolian of Pretty Connected. Take it away, ladies.
Emily Schuman / Cupcakes and Cashmere
The effortlessly stylish Emily Schuman of the fashion and lifestyle blog Cupcakes and Cashmere knows a thing or two about summer skin as she lives and works in Los Angeles. Here’s a peek into what keeps her looking gorgeous.
1. I’m obsessed with Caudalie’s entire line, and typically use their Premier Cru products and Divine oil, but switch to lightweight gel and liquid-based products in summer months. They have this Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet (the name alone makes me excited to apply it) that’s hydrating without making you look greasy, and immediately soothes hot skin. It feels like a fluffy, cooling sorbet that absorbs instantly. I also love the pretty pale pink packaging.
2. Applying Chantecaille Future Skin Foundation after the Caudalie sorbet is my one-two punch for summer skin. It’s essential to have lightweight coverage during warmer months, and this oil-free gel foundation hits all the right notes. It actually contains aloe and chamomile to calm flushed skin and fight redness, and also applies with a cooling effect. Most importantly, because it’s oil-free, it won’t clog pores or weigh down skin.
3. For a bronze glow, I’m addicted to Armani’s Maestro Liquid Summer Bronzer with SPF 15. Just the smallest drop blended into skin creates the look of a natural, flawless, and even tan. I find liquid bronzer to be a genius invention, but it’s especially superior to powder products in summer when glowing skin is the goal. I did a post where I tried 7 of the top-rated bronzers on the market, and this still remained my favorite.
4. W3LL People’s Bio Brightener Stick has an insanely natural effect that looks like you’re lit-from-within and just had the best facial of your life. Your skin looks bright, clear, fresh, and utterly luminescent. After applying bronzer and sometimes contour (I use the sister product to this illuminating stick), I dab a tiny amount on my cheekbones, orbital bone, and brow bone, and then down the center of my nose, and cupid’s bow. I like that the stick formulation makes it easy to throw-and-go. I wear it every single day. You can see what it looks like on my skin here.
5. For lips, I switch heavy, melt-prone lipsticks out for the popsicle-stained look via lip stains. My favorite right now is Stila Lip & Cheek Stain in Cherry Crush. It looks very realistic, like you may have actually just eaten a bowl of cherries. As a bonus, it doubles as a pretty cheek stain for minimal makeup packing on beach vacations.
Shopping Resources for Emily's Summer Beauty Must-Haves:
- Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet at Caudelie, $39 for 40 ml
- Chantecaille Future Skin Foundation at Nordstrom, $76 for 1 oz
- Giorgio Armani Maestro Liquid Summer Bronzer SPF 15 at Nordstrom, $64 for 1 oz
- W3LL PEOPLE Bio Brightener Stick at Birchbox, $29 for 0.4 oz
- Stila Lip & Cheek Stain in Cherry Crush at Sephora, $15 for 0.08 oz
Amber Katz / Rouge18
Amber Katz of Rouge 18 has been in the beauty blogger game for a decade, which means she has tested the likes of tens of thousands of products. Not only is she outrageously witty (seriously, check out her blog and I dare you to not LOL), but she knows what she's talking about when it comes to anything that comes in contact with her skin or face.
1. I am naturally copy-paper white and the sun is the Tupac to my Biggie for anti-aging purposes, of course. My friends who like to tan know not to place their chairs next to mine unless they want errant Neutrogena SPF 70 spray getting on them. So in order to look as if I’m living in this hemisphere, I don copious amounts of my favorite self-tanner, St. Tropez Dry Oil. It looks natural, never streaks and doesn’t smell like a vat of quarters (a common self-tanner affliction).
2. At Jin Soon’s new Walker Street salon in Manhattan, I can enjoy divine citrus tea while getting a pedicure that will outlast any other on earth. Plus, I love to wear her new shade, Crush, a sheer orange-red tint.
3. I talk about the brand Paula's Choice so much, it seems like I’m in pocket, but I’m really just a super-fan. Her Clear Ultra-Light Daily Fluid SPF 30 is one of the few sunscreens that doesn’t break me out or clog my pores. I use it in lieu of moisturizer all summer.
4. Sarah Potempa's self-twirling Beachwaver S.75 curling iron is skinny and perfect for touching up my natural curls in high humidity.
5. Wearing lipstick and powder blush feels like too much in the summer, so I dab Chosungah 22's sheer pink Duo Lip Tint & Gloss onto my lips and cheeks, slick the gloss on my pout and I’m good to go for hours.
Shopping Resources for Amber's Summer Beauty Must-Haves:
- St. Tropez Tanning Essentials Self Tan Luxe Dry Oil at Sephora, $40 for 3.38 oz
- Jin Soon Nail Polish in Crush at Jin Soon, $18
- Paula's Choice Clear Ultra-Light Daily Fluid SPF 30+ at Paula's Choice, $32 for 2 oz
- Beachwaver Co. Beachwaver S.75 at Ulta Beauty, $129
- Chosungah 22 Dual Lip Tint & Gloss in Chiffon at Sephora, $19
Lara Eurdolian / Pretty Connected
As Lara Eurdolian of Pretty Connected puts it, she's an "international marketing veteran for the beauty industry...drawn to shiny objects, '80s music, secondhand stores and koalas." Oh, and we feel comfortable adding lots and lots of beauty products to that list. The Manhattanite, who is well-versed in the realm of skin, hair and make-up, offers up her summer favorites.
1. My number one beauty essential, year round and definitely for summer, is a quality broad-spectrum sunscreen of SPF 25 or higher. I carry a sample size in my makeup case so I’m always covered, and an SPF foundation for my face. I’m partial to It Cosmetics CC+ SPF 50+, especially now that the brand recently launched a travel size.
2. Waterproof black liner is another must. My favorites are Kat Von D Tattoo Liner and Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner. Come rain, allergies, heat and sweat, you don’t want your makeup to run and these stay put.
3. I’m never without a bright pink lipstick; it sings summer and brightens your whole complexion. NARS Schiap was the first pink I fell in love with; no wonder it's a cult favorite.
4. A good bronzer is also high on my list. I’m currently using Snow Bunny by Too Faced since one side is a classic bronze and the other has a pink undertone that gives more of a blush/bronzer effect.
5. I like to finish off my make-up look with a great highlighter. I’m currently loving the Elizabeth Arden Sunset Bronze Highlighter because it pops with a bronzed pearlescent white that blends and illuminates skin beautifully. You want a solid bronzer and highlighter in your arsenal to create everything from a natural, sun-kissed complexion to a perfectly sculpted contour (and everything in between). There are many great bronzers and highlighters on the market, as well as palettes (these are a great value and convenient as they generally include a range of shades and blushes.) Some of my favorite sets are Maybelline FaceStudio Master Contour, Becca x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Collection Face Palette and the Anastasia Glow Kit.
Shopping Resources for Lara's Summer Beauty Must-Haves:
- it Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream with SPF 50+ at it Cosmetics, $38 for 1.08 fl. oz
- Kat Von D beauty Tattoo Liner in Trooper at Kat Von D Beauty, $19
- Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Black at Sephora, $22 for 0.12 oz
- NARS Lipstick in Schiap - Matte Finish at Sephora, $28
- Too Faced Snow Bunny Luminous Bronzer at Too Faced, $30
- Elizabeth Arden Sunset Bronze Prismatic Highlighter at Macy's, $28.50
- Maybelline FaceStudio Master Contour Light to Medium at Ulta, $12.99
- Becca x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Collection Face Palette at Sephora, $52
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kit at Sephora, $40
Now we want to hear from you, dear readers. What are your summer go-to beauty essentials? Share with us what you can't live without!