Summer Blockbuster: Building A Backyard Movie Theatre
Summer is finally here and it’s time to rally up friends, head outside, and enjoy every last minute of it. What better way to relish a perfect warm weathered evening than to gather some comfy chairs and blankets, snacks, and a flick for an impromptu backyard movie night?
Now, the quality of this DIY depends on how much effort and money you want to put into it. So here’s what you will need to get started.
1. The Screen — There are a few ways you can go for a screen:
• Cheapest: A white wall, white cotton fabric or a white top sheet. If you go with fabric you will need to sew black fabric or canvas to the back to use as a blackout cloth. Then you will need to build a sturdy frame out of wood or PVC pipe to keep the screen taut.
• Middle of the road: Instead of using fabric for your screen you can attach photographer’s seamless roll paper to your frame or hanging dowel system.
• Not so Cheap: Buy a portable tripod projector screen, or inflatable screen.
2. The Projector — This is the most costly part of the project. If you know someone with a video projector you could borrow that is the way to go. If you are looking to purchase one check out what you need to know here.
3. DVD Player or Computer
4. Sound System — The easiest solution to an outdoor movie sound system is powered computer speakers. They are easy to set up and generally come with a subwoofer for extra bass.
Then all that’s left is to pick out a film, get the corn popping, set up the ambience and your summer movie nights are ready to roll.
Image: Pottery Barn