In their effort to create long lasting, heirloom quality products that are easier on the environment, the stylish and sustainable furniture pieces from studioNOLA are made using sustainable hardwoods and recycled steel with an environmentally-friendly powder coating...
studioNOLA was founded in Seattle on the premise of creating "innovative, yet affordable modern furnishings while being mindful of the production process," or sustainable designer-built furniture.
While you're not going to find IKEA prices at studioNOLA, you are going to find incredibly durable (made from recycled steel) and sustainable (FSC-certified sustainable hardwood) furniture at a reasonable price.
They currently carry two lines of furniture:
- The LOFT collection is fabricated from 100% recycled steel with a powder-coated finish, Baltic Birch plywood and in some cases industrial wheels.
- The KANSANESE collection is also fabricated from 100% recycled steel but uses bamboo plywood for a more refined look than the LOFT collection.
Why it's Green:
- Made from approximately 90% recycled steel.
- Powder coated instead of painted frames, applied as a free-flowing dry powder with zero VOCs. All overspray is captured and reused.
- Low VOC sealers (water based polyeurethanes) without formaldehyde.
- Locally sourced material (in Seattle).
- Choose to ship their furniture with the EPA's SmartWay transport program which utilizes available space on currently scheduled trucks and planes.