- Newtown Australia
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- Our rented apartment is located in a converted silo on the western fringe of Sydney’s inner city. The building, formerly the F. Crago & Sons Newtown Flour Mill, was originally used for the storage of grain.
Some friends of ours previously had the lease and we envied them for living in such an interesting and iconic building. Now that it's ours, we love the layout and large windows that make everything feel bigger. The l-shaped lounge-room can trick you into thinking that there are nooks and separate spaces to spend alone time, which is always good living in the city.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Plants are great. Everyone who reads AT knows this. If your balcony faces into a wind tunnel or receives unforgiving Australian sun (as ours does), give up on the delicate plants and stick to succulents and cacti. Use larger pots that will protect your green friends from the wind and change the soil regularly. Green houses are good too if you have a spot that doesn't receive direct sunlight.
2. Make the most of any natural light. We're lucky that we have floor to ceiling windows and they make a huge difference.
3. Stay away from chunky furniture.