In my world there's nothing better than combining two of my loves — art and travel. If I could travel all over the world and stay in a different hotel each night, I would. All I would ask is where do I sign up? The only thing that could make traveling better — a constant supply of art.
The best way to combine the two: art hotels. Art hotels range from standard luxury hotels with an adjacent art gallery all the way to the actual guest room serving as the art. I prefer the latter of the two — but everyone is different! I want to stay in the most over the top room, with the most innovative and interesting artwork on the walls!
Here are the best of the best in art hotels:
• The Gladstone is one of the best examples of a successful art hotel. Each room was designed by a different artist and takes on a whole new life. No two rooms are alike and that's what makes the hotel so appealing — you'll certainly want to stay there more than once.
• Ellerman House is certainly a little more conservative than most, but their art collection is mind blowing. The great thing, they don't hide away their art collection and charge an admission to see it. You can sleep right next to a historic piece of art!
• Hotel Fox is one of the more modern and conceptual of the art hotels. Utilizing the skills of graphic designers, urban artist and illustrators — the hotel boasts 61 rooms designed by 21 different artists.
• The James Chicago is an understated art hotel. While modern and sophisticated, it still boasts an ample art collection — just not in your face. Pay close attention to the furniture and subtle details (well, except for the nudes in some of the guest rooms!).
• Le Meridien Chambers provides the atmosphere of an art gallery, but the comfort of a great hotel. We can't seem to find anything in this hotel that we wouldn't consider art — even the bathtubs are works of art!